Nootropics are famous for their encouraging effects on the brain and mood. There are also nootropics that aid in increasing libido. Libido is defined as the physiological and emotional energy concerning a person’s sex drive. Libido has to do with a person’s emotional response to sexual activity leading to arousal.
How your libido is connected to your brain
Both the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system plays a role in sexual arousal. The level of arousal is governed by the sympathetic system. There needs to be a balance amid both systems. Neurotransmitters such as norepinephrine, dopamine, and epinephrine are responsible for this balance.
Dopamine generates sensations of arousal when it is present in the body in the proper levels. If the levels go down, interest in sex reduces. Low levels have a poor effect on a person’s overall performance.
Libido and Nootropics
Many nootropics are successful in increasing your libido.
1. Galantamine and Huperzine A- Acetylcholine help increase memory. It also affects both sympathetic and parasympathetic systems therefore it will help libido. Acetylcholinesterase is known as an enzyme that aids breaking down acetylcholine in brain. These two nootropics stops acetylcholinesterase from affecting acetylcholine so acetylcholine increases. When it increases, so does your libido.
2. Sulbutiamine- enhances dopamine levels therefore increases libido by generating sensations of arousal
3. L-theanine, Bacopa Monnieri, and 5-HTP all create an increase in libido by creating an increase in well-being and decreasing anxiety
4. Inositol- Increases serotonin levels which has a positive effect on libido
5. Aniracetam- helps levels of serotonin, acetylcholine, and dopamine increase in the brain. It also is extremely popular because it reduces anxiety. Your sexual arousal suffers if you are anxious so this supplement would definitely be a benefit.
Other available options
There are also some natural nootropics that increase a person’s libido. One of them is Ginseng. This is a Chinese herb that has been used for medicinal purposes for years. Ginseng increases amount of nitric oxide in body just like Viagra. It isn’t as effective, but does help in the same way.
Another natural supplement is Ginkgo. This is another ancient Chinese herb. It increases brain power and types of sexual dysfunction. This still should be researched more, but there is promising evidence that it also helps libido.
Some nootropics diminish libido
Some supplements increase libido in people while others lower libido. People react differently when consuming nootropics because our brain chemistries are unique. Noopept is one nootropic which can lower a person’s libido. This needs to be considered when taking the supplement. Even though this may happen, it is not for long. There have not been enough studies completed to prove why some people experience these ill effects when others don’t.
It is general knowledge that when you are thinking about beginning a regimen of nootropics, you should speak to your doctor or health care provider. Understand that certain combinations of nootropics may work wonders in one person and not work at all in another. You must experiment with different ones to see which ones have a positive impact on you personally. Make sure you discuss any prescription drugs you may currently be taking so any interactions can be discussed.